Katalyst and Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE) have finished conducting a series of need assessment workshops (8 workshops- Regional and Central) to collect input from various stakeholders. These inputs will be used to update the extension manual of DAE. The extension manual of DAE is used by all the employees as a guideline to provide agricultural extension services to farmers. The current extension manual was last updated in 1999 and many of the recent technological and methodological development in agricultural extension services are not present in the manual.
DAE, along with Katalyst collected inputs from following stakeholders to develop the extension manual,
• Farmers including progressive and female farmers
• Field level extension agents including Sub Assistant Agricultural Officer (SAAO)
• DAE field level officials of all levels
• Officials of DAE head office
• NGO/ INGO representatives
• Agri input retailers
• Private sector representatives
• Retired DAE officials
Based on the input from these stakeholders, an extension manual will be printed in both Bangla and English. This will also be available in electronic format in DAE’s website.